Home ::: Links ::: Contact

Nemo, eat your heart out...

Recently I attempted to read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. As a kid I loved the movie, but I found the book to be too much detail of under-sea creatures and not enough story. However, one thing still intrigues me, the idea of sailing under the seas in a private submarine. I was disappointed (a little) when my Mom, brothers, and I took a tour of a fast-attack sub when I was a kid because there were no giant windows to look out at the alien world of the deep (I guess the U.S. Navy didn't think that would be practical). Finally, though, I have found what I have been looking for. A mere 75 million dollars will buy you a brand new Phoenix 1000. This commercial sub is built to look like a private yacht from above the water line, but has a submarine interior. It can cruise at 305 meters and can stay underwater for 30+ days. It has a mini-sub docking collar and a special diver chamber so that you can leave the sub while submerged. It's not as big as the Nautilus, but it's still way-cool.

US Submarines - Phoenix 1000

2 comments:

Nate said...

We should all get together and buy one! That would be SWEET!

Benjamin Crum said...

sorry kim, there are strict rules about under-sea sailing, one of which is no women allowed. if you have a problem with that, speak to the secretary of the Navy.

PS. Nate, I still think 6.25 million is a little much (that's the 75 divided by the 12 males in our family)

Welcome, to the bcBlog

This is the official blog of Ben Crum & BC Online. Check out the Crum Brothers at Crumbros.com and the Crum Family at the CrumFamilyBlog.