Home ::: Links ::: Contact

Ramblings

One of the first songs that Dude 222 ever recorded was called Ramblings. The lyrics went something like, “there is nothing wrong with me, except I can’t hear, feel, or see. There is nothing wrong with you, except that you’re cold and your face is blue.” But is this truly ramblings, or does it have some deep meaning? D222 has always been one of my favorite bands and their lyrics have often made me wonder if some modern art does actually have subliminal significance. As I listen to a lot of music I first can’t figure out what the guy is saying, then, when I have read the lyric sheet, I can’t figure out what the words mean. Like the lyrics from the Stone by Dave Matthews… “Unholy day, If I leave now I might get away, This weighs on me, As heavy as stone and as blue as I go” Sounds good, but what in the world is he talking about. “As blue as I go”? I hope this doesn’t mean something obvious that I just don’t get. I think a lot of lyrics are like this. The “feel” of the song has more bearing than the actual lyrical content. Nevertheless, check out D222’s newest album, The Time Was Now (2004) and see what the Dude has to offer | Dude 222

3 comments:

Benjamin Crum said...

Yes Sarah, very interesting indeed. I think one of the most interesting questions that can be raised by this topic is “what is art?” Is art the process, or is it the end product. My brother Nate would say that photography can not be art because the process of taking a photograph is not an artistic process. He might, however, argue that putting paint on the foot of an elephant and having it walk over a canvas is art because of the process. So is art what we put into the medium or is it what the viewer/patron gets from the piece?

If art is simply what we get out of a piece, then is there really art? If I get the same meaning from the description of a painting as from the painting itself, is the definition as much a piece of art as the painting?

Perhaps these are simply the rants of a self-proclaimed modern-art-hater, but I think they raise good points and force one to consider what art is.

Thanks for reading.

Benjamin Crum said...

Sarah,
Not to take up to much of your time by sending you another reply but your email makes me wonder, is everything art or is everything beautiful. I don't think the two are the same thing. I think art is to be beautiful, and I think you could make the argument that because God created it, everything has some inherent "beauty" (even if it is only on the molecular level). Anyhow, I think art is more than that. Art is our interpretation of the beauty of God or of what He has created. Thus, a painting may be Art if it seeks to depict some aspect of the beauty of Man, creation, or God. A toilet with tiddly-winks is not Art because it does not seek to express beauty but simply tries "to be", supposing that by simply "being" it will become Art. Simply by being it retains some beauty, but Art? I don't think so.

anyhow, just some more ideas.

Anonymous said...

I'm here to tell you what art really is... Art is a word in the English dictionary that has been tossed around and used so freely by every single person on the planet that it's meaning has been changed and the old entierly lost. (please don't mind speeling errors) Art is now whatever you want it to be. It's a word used to make someone feel special or original. "O i'm an artist!", or "wow, look at that sweet peice of art", are just two examles of how the word is just carelessly used by any ordinary person about any less than original thing or "art".
i am sick and tired of this word. I don't believe for a second that da vinci or michalangelo would feel very special being called artists when billy bob down the street spills some paint on a canvas and not only calls himself an artist but is embraced by others as such. If we as, whatever we are, wish to honor the true "artists", than i think we will need to find a new word because "artist" no longer gives anything to set them apart.

Welcome, to the bcBlog

This is the official blog of Ben Crum & BC Online. Check out the Crum Brothers at Crumbros.com and the Crum Family at the CrumFamilyBlog.