Home ::: Links ::: Contact

A Month of Birthdays

In the Crum family there are particular months that are known for having many Birthdays, February being one of them. Michal told me last night that we will be having a birthday celebration at her parent's house next Monday and it made me wonder... whose birthday are we celebrating? Granted, I don't know when all my inlaws birthdays are, but I didn't think any were coming up so soon. It turns out we are celebrating Michal's birthday --- over a month late!!! Michal and I talk about this all the time, but I just can't get over the idea of celebrating a birthday (or any other special day) on a day other than the day itself. I realize that there are sometimes meetings or events that conflict and so you would celebrate the day before or the day after...or maybe even postpone a birthday party so that it can be on a weekend... but waiting over a month? I don't get it.

I suggested that we also celebrate Joseph's birthday since it will be coming up soon and we probably won't celebrate it for another year or so. Michal told me her mom had already thought of that and that we might just celebrate "birthdays" two or three times a year and combine people on to one of those days. I guess I am just rambling, but it seems to me like the significance of the celebration should center around the event... on a birthday we are celebrating that person's birth! If she was born on December 28th, we would celebrate on December 28th.

I guess being married really is a learning experience. So, happy birthday Pop, David, Nate and Peter and Jill and Jess and anyone else whose birthday is within 5 months of today!

0 comments:

Welcome, to the bcBlog

This is the official blog of Ben Crum & BC Online. Check out the Crum Brothers at Crumbros.com and the Crum Family at the CrumFamilyBlog.